Going Green: How To Select The Best Wheatgrass Juicer
To take full advantage of the nutritional benefits of fresh wheatgrass juice, having a wheatgrass juicer at home is ideal.
This can help you save a lot of money instead of having to buy commercial wheatgrass juice. Moreover, you'll also get the benefits of knowing that the juice is fresh and hasn't begun the oxidation process.
Let this guide help you find the best wheatgrass juicer to maximize your health and increase your efficiency.
** Below, you'll find our more detailed reviews, but you can click links above to see the current prices or read customer's reviews on Amazon.
Benefits of Drinking Wheatgrass
Wheatgrass is considered to be a superfood, and it is packed with nutritious vitamins and minerals. To start, wheatgrass is loaded with protein and low in sugar, and it is chock full of vitamins, including A, B, C, E and K.
The large amounts of chlorophyll in wheatgrass, which is what gives it that bright green color, can also give the immune system a boost, serve as an antibacterial in the body, fight blood sugar problems and help oxygenate the blood.
A single shot of wheatgrass juice has as much nutritional benefit as more than 2 pounds of leafy dark greens, making it a convenient and simple way to get your vitamins and minerals in a single sip.
Why a Masticating Juicer Is Important for Wheatgrass
As you begin looking for the best wheatgrass juicer, keep in mind that there are 2 types of juicing processes that you can choose from: centrifugal juicer and masticating juicer.
Centrifugal juicer is the most common option. It uses high-powered spinning to grind the food placed within it and create juice as a result.
A centrifugal juicer will almost always be the cheapest option, but many enthusiasts don't believe that it is the best choice for wheatgrass.
Masticating juicer, which is preferred for things like wheatgrass, actually grinds up the food at a slow speed and creates juice as a result.
Masticating juicers tend to be pricier, but they are regarded as better among those who place a priority on maximum nutrition and minimal waste.
Check out the video below to learn more about differences between these 2 types juicing processes.
Things To Consider When Purchasing A Juicer
Manual or Electric
Another decision you'll need to make is whether you prefer a manual wheatgrass juicer or an electric one.
A manual juicer will be more affordable, and it tends to take up less space on the countertop. However, it will require you to move a crank in order to turn wheatgrass into juice.
An electric wheatgrass juicer requires far less effort, but it tends to be more expensive and take up more space. For those who drink lots of wheatgrass or who are making juice for multiple people at a time, an electric model may be the best choice.
Low and Slow: Why Speed Matters
For many kitchen appliances, speed is considered to be a priority. For wheatgrass juicers, however, slower is usually better.
When juicing wheatgrass, slower speeds mean that there will be lower rates of oxidation and a greater protection of the enzymes within the wheatgrass. Both of these things can preserve the nutritional value and ensure that every bit of wheatgrass made is as healthy and packed with vitamins as possible.
Size and Storage of Your Wheatgrass Juicer
Another issue to consider when choosing the best wheatgrass juicer is how big the appliance will be. In a small kitchen, it may be best to have a manual juicer that takes up less space on the countertop when in use or in the cupboards when in storage.
If space is less of an issue, then a larger electric wheatgrass juicer may be fine. Because of the volume of wheatgrass juice being made at a time and the fact that a slower speed is more desirable, a bigger juicer won't necessarily be a positive.
If, however, you want a juicer that is more versatile, then a larger appliance could be beneficial.
Versatility: Juicing More Than Just Wheatgrass
Many wheatgrass juicers are designed specifically to juice wheatgrass, and they are meant to exclusively deal with this one ingredient. However, many of the most popular wheatgrass juicers are also equipped to juice a range of other fruits or vegetables.
If you enjoy drinking a range of juices and you want to make healthy, nutritious beverages at home, then investing in a multipurpose juicer could be the best choice.
Top 5 Best Juicers
It is hard to find many faults with the Super Angel DELUXE Juicer, starting with the very contemporary and upscale stainless steel construction. The juicer itself works beautifully, and everything from installation to the first use was straightforward and intuitive, making it fine for even a juicing beginner.
For the average home juicer, however, this might simply be too much machine for the kitchen. The shipping weight is 28 pounds, and the price is very high compared to other high-quality wheatgrass juicers.
If you are planning to use a wheatgrass juicer often, particularly for commercial purposes, then this is a clear winner that can extract lots of juice without getting hot, which is key in the prevention of oxidation.
- Anti-jamming system goes into reverse automatically if there are complications
- Self-controlling motor-thermal system prevents the appliance from overheating
- Lots of extras, including fuses, collection cups, screens and cleaning brushes
- Sleek, stainless exterior
- Can be used to juice a wide range of fruits, nuts and vegetables
- Very large footprint that might take up too much room in a typical kitchen
- At 28 pounds, can be hard to lift and move without help
- Lots of components that make cleaning time-consuming
- One of the most expensive wheatgrass juicers on the market
For anyone who wants a commercial-grade wheatgrass juicer, this is a top pick that can deliver exceptional juice. The Samson Super Juicer is able to process up to 5 ounces of wheatgrass in a minute, which is well above average even for commercial models.
All of this, of course, happens without overheating the motor or causing oxidation to the wheatgrass itself. There is a self-feeding tamper on this appliance, which requires a little more effort than other commercial juicers.
I appreciate that there are reverse buttons that can be accessed quickly if something gets caught or stuck in the juicer, and the surgical stainless steel means that there is no plastic to impact the taste of the final product.
- Air-cooled juicer keeps the temperature low and prevents high motor heats
- Can process an impressive 5 ounces of wheatgrass per minute
- Self-tamper option speeds up processing time
- Doesn't require any lubrication even with sporadic use
- Forward and reverse buttons easy to find and use
- Very quiet operation
- Weighs a significant 30 pounds
- Commercial size is probably too large for most home kitchens
- Only works for grasses, making it a less versatile juicer
While there are some very expensive wheatgrass juicers on the market, there are still options for those on a budget. The Handy Pantry HJ Hurricane Stainless Steel Manual Wheatgrass Juicer is just one prime example.
This is completely manual, which means that there is no motor. It can be installed in your kitchen like a vice; you can then just feed the wheatgrass into the juicer.
It is not super quick, but it can produce about 1 ounce per minute. If you're willing to put in the work to get that highly nutritious shot, this is an effective machine that won't waste any valuable wheatgrass in the juicing process.
It is conveniently small and lightweight in size, and I found it easy to take apart, assemble and clean after each use.
- Lightweight and takes up minimal space in the kitchen
- Easy to use, clean and assemble
- Most parts can be cleaned in the dishwasher for added convenience
- Manual design means that there is no motor heat that can damage the wheatgrass
- Slower than most electric wheatgrass juicers
- Can only be installed on countertops that are less than 2.25 inches thick
- Only works for green grasses and is not compatible with other vegetables or fruits
- Stainless steel construction won't rust and is incredibly durable
If you know that you want a masticating electric juicer rather than a centrifugal one but you don't want to spend too much, then the Omega J8006 Nutrition Center Juicer is a suitable compromise.
The top speed of the juicer is 80 RPMs, which ensures a slow and consistent speed as well as no overheating for the motor. Although not the most effective wheatgrass juicer I've tried, it does a reasonable job of wheatgrass extraction and automatically ejects pulp to continue the juicing without delay.
This is definitely a great juicer choice for anyone who wants to juice wheatgrass but also wants additional functions like mincing vegetables, juicing fruits, grinding coffee beans, making nut butters and even creating homemade pastas using additional attachments.
- Very versatile and can be used to juice, puree and chop a range of ingredients
- Maximum speed of 80 RPMs to reduce oxidation
- Attractive and modern black and chrome design
- Quiet operation
- Includes an impressive 15-year warranty
- Screens can become clogged when juicing some produce items
- Plastic parts more likely to break than stainless steel
- Auger is prone to damage and can be scratched easily during use
- Increased versatility means it is not designed specifically to juice wheatgrass
The Green Power KPE1304 Twin Gear Juicer has a sleek black design and is an electric masticating juicer, making it ideal for wheatgrass juice.
One of the best things about the model is how quiet it is, especially compared to other masticating juicers. It is also small enough to fit into even a tiny kitchen, and the various pieces are easy to remove and clean as needed.
I could see exactly how effective the juicer was at removing juice when I looked at the pulp left behind from the wheatgrass, which felt dry to the touch. This Green Power juicer works hard to make sure there is not a single drop of nutrition left behind that goes to waste!
Although this juicer is designed specifically to juice leafy greens like wheatgrass, it is also capable of making everything from fruit juice to baby food with ease.
- Very quiet
- Incredibly effective at extracting juice from wheatgrass
- Great for all leafy greens but can also be used for other fruits and vegetables
- Multiple pulp extraction screens depending on what you're juicing
- Includes a large, one-liter juice collection cup
- The pulp screens can be hard to clean
- Screens can clog when juicing softer fruits like apples or pears
Price, available space in the kitchen and juicing volume are all factors to consider when choosing the right wheatgrass juicer. In my opinion, the best wheatgrass juicer for home use on this list is the Green Power KPE1304 Twin Gear Juicer.
Specifically for juicing greens like wheatgrass, the appliance is very effective and will do an excellent job of extracting as much liquid and nutrition as possible. Despite its incredible efficiency, it still maintains a slow motor speed to limit oxidation and is very quiet.
Plus, the Green Power KPE1304 is very affordable for a masticating juicer, making it a cheaper option than larger commercial models.
Comment below if you agree with the nutritional benefits of juicing wheatgrass or you have opinions on what makes a wheatgrass juicer great!
Following a healthy lifestyle is not too hard when you have one of these amazing gadgets. You can find out more of them at The Best Food Steamer For Your Daily Healthy Meals!