How to Freshen Stale Popcorn? Info and Tips
Popcorn may get stale if you don't consume them within 4-5 hours. Stale popcorn needs some reviving to restore its crispiness. You can freshen up stale popcorn in microwave or oven. Let's see some tips and tricks about this topic below and more info about your favorite snack...
How to freshen stale popcorn? All about Popcorn
Who doesn't fall for crackling popcorn that are delectable and make your movie/web-series time complete? But what to do if you still have some popcorn left behind? Should you eat them later?
Do you know how to freshen stale popcorn? Well, we have an answer to all your leftover popcorn woes in this article! So, let's get started with knowing the properties that go into making the perfect popcorn from simple corn kernels!
Overview about popcorn
Popcorn is the favorite munching snack during multifarious occasions. It is the only food item that takes just 2-3 minutes of your life to be freshly cooked or reheated in the microwave.
The best part, it has a perfect taste and crisp that leaves everyone mouthwatering. Oh, did I forget the essence of fresh hot popcorn, which is just incomparable!
Moreover, nowadays, there are a plethora of flavors for which people have a penchant, such as cheesy, chocolaty, salty, or even garlic flavor. Besides the choices of popcorn flavors, you can stock them very effortlessly as they stay fresh and in a proper condition at room temperature only.
In case they are kept in a higher or lower degree than the normal temperature, it will dry them out. However, people find ice-boxes a great way to store them so that you can continue finishing your last movie marathon's leftover popcorn.
You might have heard and even tried some weird food combinations, but have you tried all the popcorn flavors.
Here are all the tastes that you need to experience as per the occasions or events you attend or go to:
What makes popcorn pop?
What you see when popcorn is made is how the kernel gets a heartbeat when the heat is applied but what certainly happens is much more than what you can imagine!
When the kernels acquire heat, their inner starch and moisture turn into a liquid form. After that, the liquid converts into steam, which, as soon as it hits the atmosphere, helps give the popcorn texture. As we all know how popcorn looks, a foam look-alike which tastes crunchy inside with large size.
The heat is applied either through an oven, microwave, or stove with some oil in a pan or skillet to act as a barrier to not let them burn. The heat should also be of a certain quantity so that all the kernels pop out.
Heat and moisture to make a perfect popcorn
In the old times, people used scorching sand to make popcorns, and those popcorns were pretty much more durable than the ones made on the stove. It's even said that a popcorn needs 365 degrees Fahrenheit to pop itself in its form.
Also, heat should be of the exact amount like not too much or not too less. Also, the oil amount matters too as it is considered as an intermediary between them that doesn't let the stove lose heat or leave popcorn burnt.
Popcorn contains a definite amount of moisture content which is the one that assists the corn to pop. Its ideal amount of content should be 13.5 percent, but the actual kernels have 20 to 25 percent of moisture. That is why people who sell popcorns use ovens to lower the quantity of moisture to its normal one.
How to make popcorn?
Popcorn are a life-saver snack and everyone's all-time favorite! You'll be happy to know that they are pretty easy to make. There are distinct ways to make popcorn at home or even buy them from the popcorn machine vendors.
You can make them in a microwave, oven, or stove in a couple of minutes and can enjoy your events thoroughly.
All you need to do is put them together with some oil or butter as a base to protect them from burning. Later, you can add the flavors in this part only to let them mix while they will cook.
You just need to buy some kernels from a grocery shop to make them hot and as per your convenience. Here are the methods that you can use to make your fresh and sizzling flavored popcorn.
On stove top
- Add some oil in a deep pan, then add 1-2 packs of kernels very carefully before it gets preheated.
- Switch the stove to average flame and cover it with a lid or something to cover the pan.
- When you see them pop inside the pan, then add all the kernels in the pan and cover it with a lid.
- Give the pan a jiggle so that if any kernel is left unpopped, it may come in contact with the oil or butter and pop out as the others did.
- The whole process will take 2-4 minutes for all of them to pop.
- When all the kernels are done, you will not hear any pop sound, and that's when you can remove the pan from the heat or switch it off.
- Be careful and precise when you remove the lid as one of them can pop on you, so be alert. Voila, enjoy them with your movie sessions.
- You can make any type of flavored popcorn in a microwave or oven like normal ones, buttery or caramel flavor.
- You need a paper bag and put the kernels in them for the basic ones, and seal them with tape or two hand folds. Keep them in the microwave or oven for about 2-5 minutes as per the number of kernels. Check them in between to see if all the kernels are popped or not. Take them out then and eat with your friends.
- For the buttery and caramel ones, take a small bowl and melt the butter for the former one and butter, sugar and salt for the latter one in the microwave or oven for 30 seconds or more.
- Then, take out the bowl and pour the liquid form of the flavor into a big bowl. Add kernels to it and mix them together until they are thoroughly combined.
- Then again, put them into the oven or microwave for the kernels to pop for about 2-5 minutes. Wait for the kernels to stop popping before taking them out.
- Wait for them to cool down and settle with the flavors you added.
- After they are chilled out a bit, enjoy them with your friends and family.
How to freshen stale popcorn?
There are different ways to protect your life-saver snack from drying out or become stale. We have some solutions for you to try and save for your next occasion. They are not perfect procedures, but they may help you have your favorite snack in the middle of a snack emergency.
Preheat method in a microwave
Preheat method in the oven
Don't keep the popcorn for too long in the microwave or oven; else, they will get burnt and destroy your pan's look. These methods help to bring back that moisture content in the popcorns and make them as new as they were.
How to store homemade popcorn to keep them fresh for longer?
You can store your popcorn very easily because they can be kept at room temperature or in the freezer if they are salted or normal. There are different flavors in popcorn, and they need special attention at their storage part.
For example, if you bought some company's kernels and made them at home, you need to read all the points of storing them given on it.
If you have made regular or basic popcorn at home, these methods may help you eat them later or protect them for a longer time.
Storing at room temperature
- Keep your homemade popcorn in a container or a bag that is fully tight with the lid.
- Keep that container in your kitchen slab, not in a dark place, as that gets a bit colder than the average temperature.
- Write the date and time of the storage on the container or the packet to not eat them after the expiration.
- Remember: You can store them for at most 2 weeks but not more than that.
Storing in the refrigerator
- Although it's not the best way to store your popcorn in the fridge since it makes them stale or dry, if you do it correctly and follows the procedure, then you might store them most easily.
- Put your homemade popcorn in a tight container or storage bag closed fully and prevent any incoming air.
- Check the container for any loopholes because there should not be any air getting in from anyway.
- Write the date and time of the storing food to help you eat them earlier than the expiry date.
- Store them for almost two weeks and enjoy them with your friends and family.
Storing in the freezer
- This is the best way to store your popcorn and protect them from drying out because this takes less time to heat them and serving.
- Keep your popcorn in a plastic bag or container, but it should be airtight to prohibit any air, making it stale. Don't add any flavoring here because that might make them stale and destroy them before anything.
- Lock them up with their lid or seal to not let in any air so that they are protected for a longer time.
- You can store them for up to 3 months but mention the date and time on the packet so that you won't eat stale popcorn and eat them before their expiry date.
- You can eat, heat them and add your custom flavor to them as per your choice when you want to have them.
Last Lines on how to freshen stale popcorn
Now that you are fully aware of all the ways to revive your stale popcorn back to its original crispy state, you can opt for any of the ways to get your fresh popcorn easily.
Remember: proper storage is the key to keep your popcorn fresh for a long time! Keep following all these tips to prevent them from getting stale.\
More Posts for You: