How Long Do Artichokes Last In The Fridge? Facts and Storage Tips
Artichokes are nutritious vegetables that are available fresh as well as canned. Both have different shelf lives, and if you plan on stocking these at home, you must be concerned about, ‘How long do artichokes last in the fridge?’
Cooked, canned, and fresh artichokes last for different periods in the fridge.
Canned or bottled artichokes have a shelf life of 2 to 5 years. Once opened, these should be refrigerated, and they can last up to a month in the fridge. Cooked artichokes can last up to a month in the refrigerator. Fresh artichokes, when stored properly, can last up to 7 days in the fridge.
Read on further to know more about storage tips.
How Long do Artichokes Last in the Fridge?
Artichokes are thistles and not strictly vegetables. They are consumed like other root vegetables such as turnips and carrots. They have a strong flavor and are power-packed with vitamin B6, Lutein, Zeaxanthin, and other vitamins and minerals.
If you want to make artichokes a regular addition to your meals, you should know how to store them properly in the fridge. Different storage conditions apply for fresh, canned, and cooked artichokes.
- These should be stored in a cool, dry, and dark place under 50 degrees Fahrenheit when kept outside.
- Fresh artichokes can last up to 2 months in the freezer. But this can be pretty challenging as they have a short shelf life.
- Fresh artichokes can last up to 7 days in the refrigerator when stored properly.
- The lifespan of a fresh artichoke stored in the fridge depends on the ‘best before date. Therefore, fresh artichokes will have a ‘sell by’ date on the package.
Cooked or Canned Artichokes
- Cooked artichokes can last up to 6 months in the freezer.
- Dehydrated or canned artichokes can last up to 2 years in your pantry.
- You can also blanch and refrigerate your artichokes before consumption. This will enhance the shelf life a little more.
- Cooked artichokes can last up to a month in the refrigerator.
Can you Freeze Fresh Artichokes?
Fresh artichokes can be frozen, but they will not taste the same once you defrost them. Instead, they will taste somewhat like canned artichokes. This is because freezing changes the texture of this vegetable’s pulp.
But, if you still must freeze artichokes, the ideal way is explained below:
- First, you need to wash the artichokes.
- Remove brown spots, if any, and trim the stem.
- Next, cut the end of each leaf.
- Next, dip the vegetable in boiling water for 60 seconds.
- Then place on a paper towel and dry thoroughly with another paper towel.
- Cool it, and then freeze it in a freezer-safe bag.
- If you want to freeze the entire artichoke hearts, place the vegetable upside down in a freezer bag or a freezer-safe container and seal them tight before freezing them.
Storage Tips for Fresh and Cooked Artichokes in the Fridge
Both fresh and cooked artichokes should be stored in different ways to enhance their lifespan.
- These should be stored in a plastic bag in the refrigerator. You can keep it as it is in its original packaging or wash and dry it before placing it in a plastic bag and into the fridge. Plastic bags help retain the moisture of the vegetable, thereby enhancing its life.
- It is not good to cut half the artichoke for use and store the other half in the fridge. Once cut, they begin to wilt faster. Therefore, these should be consumed as soon as possible once cut.
- You can also store fresh artichokes by immersing them in fresh water in a bowl and the fridge. The leaves of the artichokes must be kept intact while doing so to prevent molding. This method can enhance the life of the vegetable by a day.
- Fresh artichokes can be diced into small pieces and stored in an air-tight container in the fridge.
- Canned artichokes, once opened, last up to five weeks in the refrigerator. Although they taste best until two days after being opened, they can still be consumed. These should be placed in the fridge with the lid tightly shut.
- Cooked artichokes should be consumed within two days of being refrigerated, as the taste peaks during these two days. But, they can last up to a month before getting spoiled. So, these too should be kept in an air-tight container.
- Cooked artichokes should be kept moist when storing them in the refrigerator. It is best to place a plastic bag or cover over the container before securing the lid for maximum freshness.
How do you know if the artichoke has gone wrong?
The stem and the leaves should not be wilted. The stem should be firm and not dry. When you shake the vegetable, all the leaves should close together. The smell should not be mushy or rubbery. There should be no moldy spots on the artichoke. Look for all these signs to determine whether it has gone wrong.
Should you refrigerate artichokes?
While it is ideal to have a freshly plucked vegetable or fruit, we all know that it is not possible. But, you can store the artichoke properly to enhance its shelf life if you need to consume it after a few days.
What part of the artichoke is poisonous?
The center of an artichoke contains inedible fibers. The fuzzy part at the base of the leaves and the lower portion of the leaves are edible. No part of this plant can be consumed without cooking.
Artichokes can last from a week to a month in the fridge, depending upon whether it is fresh, cooked, or canned. A fresh artichoke can stay at its best quality for a week in the fridge, while cooked or canned artichoke can stay up to a month.
These should be appropriately stored in the fridge to enhance the freshness and flavor.