Best Shaved Ice Machine 2018 – Reviews & Buyer’s Guide
Are you considering to buy a shaved ice machine for your business or simply for your home? Then continue reading as we help you find the best shaved ice machine currently available. If you want to buy a unit for business use, make sure that you invest on a high-quality one with all the essential features you need.
However, selecting the right model may be a bit difficult especially with the many brands available. You need to be prudent in your choice since you’ll be making a big investment. To narrow your choices, we review five of the most revered brands today.
What Is A Shaved Ice Machine?
A shaved ice machine is an equipment used to snip off blocks and cubes of ice into fine shavings. Unlike the snow cones and slushies, shaved ice is soft, fluffy, and it melts in your mouth like snowflakes. You can put some syrup to add flavor or you can enjoy it as it is.
To learn more about shaved ice, watch this video here.
Using this machine is so easy: just load the ice into the top and catch the shaved ice at the bottom. The amount of ice shaved may vary from one model to another. To protect the shaving blade from rusting, always remember to dry it before and after use.
Types Of Shaved Ice Machines
1. Cube Ice Shaver
The cube ice shaver is available almost everywhere so it’s quite accessible to buy it in any store. As compared to the block ice shaver, the cube ice shaver is easier to use. However, it produces somewhat grainy and coarse ice shavings.
2. Block Ice Shaver
Although finding a block ice shaver is a bit difficult than its ice cube counterpart, you can make a fast internet search online for its availability. This type of ice shaver tends to be pricier than cube ice but it produces a finer, smoother end result. In terms of popularity and sturdiness, both types of shave ice machines are very much the same.
What To Look For
To get the best value for your money, look for a shaved ice machine that offers multiple accessories. Some ice machines already include cone cups, straws, and even ice syrups. These accessories make the machine usable right out from the box.
You can get your unit covered from defects within a specified period if it offers a warranty. If you opt to buy an expensive shaved ice machine, look for a long warranty. Most models offer at least one-year manufacturer’s warranty.
If you like your ice machine to last long, consider the overall construction. To ensure durability, opt for a stainless steel or brass construction. The base should be stable and the shaving blade should be sturdy.
4. Ease Of Use
One main benefit of a shaved ice machine is to make ice finely without any hassle. As mentioned above, the cube ice shaver is easier to use than the block ice shaver. Most of the most convenient models can be operated with just a simple switch.
Of course, cleaning should be a breeze. Some low maintenance units need only to be washed in clean water and dried with a towel.
5. Safety Features
Like any other machines, the operation should be safe. To prevent any electrical accident hazards, make sure that the on/off switch is covered with a waterproof shield. The unit should have an automatic shutoff to ensure maximum safety. To keep the unit securely in place when in use, make sure that the base has a non-skid rubber feet.
6. Working Efficiency
You can determine the working efficiency of a shaved ice machine based on its motor. The higher the watts or horsepower, the faster and more efficient it is for shaving ice. Premium quality models can shave ice more than 350 pounds per hour.
Our Top 5 Picks
*Below, you'll find our more detailed reviews, but you can also click the links above to see current prices or read customer reviews on Amazon.
The WYZworks Shaved Ice Machine has an all stainless steel construction including of a holding bowl, hopper, casing, and a firm base. To ensure a safe usage, the switch is built with a waterproof cover. The smooth shape is so elegant that it brings a great aesthetic in your kitchen.
The working efficiency is very high as its powerful 200 watts motor can generate about 440 pounds of shaved ice per hour. This efficiency is also thanks to its dual stainless steel blades. The blade is also removable to make cleaning easier.
Editor's Rating: 98/100
- Easy to use and clean
- Has a very high working efficiency: 440 pounds per hour
- Constructed of all stainless steel construction for durability
- Features removable dual stainless steel blades
- Built with a smooth elegant design
- Very powerful motor: 200 watts
- Built with a waterproof switch for safety
- The ice may get stuck in the chute
- Adjusting the blade may be a little tedious as you need to remove the handle and the feeder
- This could have been perfect if the bowl is made of commercial grade stainless steel and not chromed metal
The Hawaiian Shaved Ice Machine is a complete party package that includes three 16-ounce bottles of syrup, 25 spoon straws, 25 snow cone cups, and three pull-push pourers. You can expect to produce fine and fluffy ice with its cylindrical ice blocks and precision-made stainless steel blade.
A non-skid mat is also included to keep the tray stay securely in place. For a crunchy or coarse ice shavings, you can also adjust the blade to shave ice cubes to required texture. For the first year of its purchase, you can get all defective parts repaired or replaced under its one-year warranty.
Editor's Rating: 94/100
- Comes with a one-year warranted
- Includes a lot of accessories for a complete package
- Adjustable blade to shave the desired texture of ice
- Offers a non-skid mat for the tray to stay in place
- Easy to use and clean
- The machine works intermittently
- Shaves off ice in less amount than expected
- The motor of the machine is not powerful enough
The Koval Inc. Shaved Ice Machine is made of stainless steel all throughout. It features a solid base, dual shaving blades, ice bowl, and a hopper. The motor is highly efficient that it can generate about 143 pounds of shaved ice per hour.
To use, just turn the switch, place the ice in the hopper, and push the handle. Best of all, the on/off switch of this cube ice shaver is protected with a waterproof cover to ensure a safety operation. This machine also shuts off automatically when the hopper handles are open.
Editor's Rating: 87/100
- Has an elegant design
- Made of all stainless steel construction for durability
- Features dual stainless steel blades for easy and efficient performance
- Built with safety features: water-resistant switch and an automatic shutoff
- Easy to use
- High working efficiency: 143 pounds per hour
- The blade and the bolt holding the arm easily break after several uses
- Difficult to clean
- The chute where the soft ice comes out tends to collect ice
The Ivation IS80 Shaved Ice Machine is so versatile that it can create snow-ice cones, slushies, and shaved ice. Operating this machine is so easy with just a touch of the button, plus cleaning is easy. The blades are made of sturdy stainless steel blades to last long.
The cube ice shaver is nicely designed to improve your kitchen. The construction is made of BPA-free plastic and has a powerful motor of 80 watts. This machine is also made of safety features, like an automatic shutoff and non-slip rubber feet. If you’re not satisfied with its quality and performance, you can ask for a full refund.
Editor's Rating: 85/100
- Easy to use and clean
- Versatile functions
- Made of strong stainless steel blades
- Comes with a 100% money back guarantee
- Constructed with safety features- automatic shutoff and non-slip rubber feet
- Only shaves a bit of the ice
- May break after a few uses
- Creates a very loud noise when in use
The Great Northern Shaved Ice Machine is made of high-quality brass and stainless steel materials. The heavy-duty motor has a horsepower of 1/3 and it shaves more than 350 pounds per hour. As compared to most cube ice shavers, this unit shaves ice more finely.
This block ice shaver is supported by a one-year warranty to extend its life. You can adjust the stainless steel blade to shave the desired consistency of your ice.
Editor's Rating: 81/100
- Made of high impact stainless steel and brass construction
- Backed by a one-year warranty
- Has a heavy-duty motor: 1/3 horsepower
- High working efficiency: more than 350 pounds per hour
- Adjustable and sturdy stainless steel blade
- The piece that holds the ice is weakly made
- The ice spins so quick that it fails to be shaved
- Lacks a safety shield of the switch
Based on our ratings above, the best shaved ice machine is the WYZwoks Shaved Ice Machine because it has most of the features that we’re looking for. Some of the remarkable features include a very high working efficiency (440 pounds per hour), waterproof on/off switch for safety, and a durable stainless steel construction. Best of all, this heavy-duty machine is easy to use and clean.
If you have any questions or suggestions about this article, let us hear it in the comments section. Please share this article if you like it.