What Is The Best Onion Chopper For 2019? Find Out!
Onion choppers are slowly becoming a staple in kitchens. Why? Because as life becomes more and more fast-paced, we have a tendency to get more convenient tools. And no tool is handier in the kitchen than an onion chopper, right? We no longer have enough time in the day now to spend for wiping tears and washing our hands gingerly after cutting onions, so we need an onion chopper that'll do its job best.
My mother has five sisters, and I gifted them all with onion choppers this Christmas past. I didn't want to give them uniform choppers, so I wrapped only the nicest ones from different brands I could find. From my experience, there's one that stood out. This article will reveal that best onion chopper I gave to who else but my favorite aunt!
What Is An Onion Chopper?
An onion chopper is a kitchen tool that skillfully cuts onions. It is usually self-contained to reduce mess and to transfer the onions to the cooking pan smoothly. The chopper will have either a manual operating mechanism or an electric cord to power the tool.
Onion choppers use evenly spaced razor-sharp metal blades. In manual choppers, the onion is minced upon plunging the spring-loaded handle. Aside from spring-loaded ones, there are manual choppers that cut onions by pressing down on the blades and even by pulling a cord.
Things To Consider Before Buying
If you're looking to get the best onion chopper, you must have a set of requirements when shopping. The price of optimal onion choppers starts at a very low price. The higher-end ones can cost hundreds of dollars. The trick is to find one that offers the best value for your money.
Here are things you'd want to consider before making that purchase:
Type / Mechanism
Electric Onion Choppers
For smaller jobs, get an electric chopper. Why? Because if you're using just two small red onions, it will take you time to get a fine cut using a manual onion chopper. Note that the blades in manual choppers are evenly spaced and more conducive to cutting larger onions. And if there's not enough onion touching the blades, there won't be much chopping done in as little time as possible.
If you need to use electric onion choppers for bigger jobs such as big white onions, you'll have to slice them first before putting them inside the container. Slicing first will prevent the blades from getting stuck and malfunctioning. Regular onion choppers can hold chunks of at most three big onions.
Manual Onion Choppers
For a finer cut, use a manual onion chopper. It can either be spring-loaded, press-down, or a pull-cord. Most spring-loaded choppers are round and have a handle that works as a plunger. Place the onions in a holding area under the blades, and they get chopped by the blades as the handle plunges up and down.
A press-down onion chopper uses arm power to be able to chop onions without making a pulpy mess. Under a tray with built-in blades is a container to hold the chopped onions. You only need to push down the top cover so that the onion presses down onto the sharp blades.
A new type of onion chopper is making its rounds in the market with its innovative cord pulling mechanism. There's a cutting rotator with ultra-sharp blades that get activated once you pull the cord attached to the chopper's lid.
Check the blades that come with the onion chopper. They must strictly be of stainless steel and integrated into the design in such a way that it's easy to detach for cleaning purposes. For multi-purpose choppers, get one that has interchangeable steel blades.
Although you're buying mainly for onions, it would be helpful to find an onion chopper that can also slice other ingredients like garlic and small vegetables. A versatile onion chopper is multi-purpose and able to cut a variety of ingredients. Versatile tools are most helpful in the kitchen. Not only do they save you time from washing different kitchen tools and gadgets, but they also save you counter space. One device for many needs.
The goal is to make life more convenient, right? Before you decide on an onion chopper, think about how much effort it's going to need from you to clean it after use.
Does it clean well under running water? Do you have to painstakingly stick your hand inside the tight container and carefully get past the blades just to reach the bottom and clean it? As much as possible, you'd want to get an onion chopper that's dishwasher-safe or one that you can rinse under tap water.
The Top Onion Choppers In My Books
Knowing full well the requirements I listed above, here are the five onion choppers I gave my aunts for Christmas:
**Below, you'll find our more detailed reviews, but you can also click the links above to see current prices or read customer reviews on Amazon.
- DESIGNED FOR A PERFECT CHOPPING / BLENDING JOB:...
- POWERFUL & VERSATILE: Powerful handheld herb,...
- COMPACT & SAFE TO USE: Great for small kitchens,...
- SUPERIOR VALUE: Bundle includes the Brieftons Food...
Last update on 2019-11-13 at 23:26
Among the five I bought and gave away, I found the Brieftons Manual Food Chopper to be the best for my kitchen needs. Not only is it the most compact and portable, but it also has the best value for money.
The Brieftons is a manual onion chopper that can also uniformly dice garlic, herbs, fruits, and even nuts. The stainless steel blades are razor-sharp and are spaced evenly inside the container. It's hand-powered, and you'll only need to pull the cord several times to achieve the desiredyou're always on the go, live in a mobile home, or are always out camping, then this is the onion chopper for you.
- Measures less than 6 inches and weighs less than 10 ounces
- Cord pulling mechanism gives better control than one-touch mechanism.
- 3-cup capacity chopping bowl
- No-fuss detachable blades make cleanup easier
- Bundled with Salad Recipes e-books
- Affordable without compromising quality
- Detachable blades aren't secure once the lid is open. Must take extra caution.
- 200 Watt Power Pod
- Effortlessly mince, chop, grind and blend a...
- Perfect for garlic, onion, zest, spices, herbs,...
- Capacity: 16 ounces
Last update on 2019-11-14 at 08:25
Chop onions, garlic, and nuts effortlessly with the Ninja Express Chop. The container is big enough to hold three cups of food without any stalls, thanks to its 200-watt power motor. It's easy to mince garlic with the Ninja Express Chop because of its optimal blade technology and ergonomic design.
The pulse technology allows for a more consistent and uniform result. If you love topping your pasta with bacon crumbles, then this is the chopper you'll need as it's powerful enough to cut thin meats precisely. Are you worried that electric onion choppers may move a lot while in use? Don't worry. The Ninja Express Chop has a non-slip base and splashguard.
- Perfect for making all kinds of sauce
- 200-watt power pod
- BPA-free plastic container that can hold 3 cups of food
- Ergonomic design for easy handling
- Bulky top motor
- Blade motor is attached to the lid, preventing additional loads while in use.
Another multi-use chopper on the list, the Surpahs Multi-Vegetable Chopper comes with four different blade types to accommodate different food items. If you're following a strict healthy diet, are vegan or vegetarian, or always on the go, then this chopper fits your lifestyle.
You can easily make a fruit tray, thanks to its 1.5-liter capacity. Worried about the mess it's going to leave since it's a press-down? Don't fuss. Just put the entire unit in your dishwasher, and you're set. We all know that Germans have the finest blades. Well, I thought you'd like to know that the stainless steel blades in this onion chopper are supplied to Germany market.
- Can chop onions and other soft vegetables in one swift motion
- Stainless steel blades supplied to Germany market
- 1.5-liter container capacity can hold all ingredients of a salad
- Dishwasher-safe BPA-free plastic materials
- Plastic material doesn't give enough support for chopping carrots and potatoes
- Hard vegetables may cause strain on the blades, causing the plastic mount to break.
- Stay-Sharp Blade - The bi-level stainless steel...
- 1.5 Cup Capacity - The perfect size for dip,...
- Dishwasher-Safe Parts - Cleanup is simple with...
- One-Touch Operation - The one-touch pulse control...
Last update on 2019-11-14 at 08:25
The BLACK+DECKER One-Touch is an electric multi-use chopper that comes with a 1.5 cup bowl. It's handy at less than 13x10 inches and features a large one-touch button with pulse control. To avoid accidents, this chopper comes with a safety-lock lid which makes it perfect for older kids who are active in the kitchen or those pursuing their culinary interests early.
This multi-use chopper may be intimidating since it's electric and has a rather bulky housing, but you'll be surprised to know cleanup is easy. The BLACK+DECKER has dishwasher-safe parts, so there's no need to worry about hassle cleanups.
- 70-watt power motor
- Bi-level curved blade ensures precise cutting
- 1.5 cup bowl capacity that can hold a variety of ingredients
- Features a safety-lock lid
- Dishwasher-safe parts (lid, bowl, blade)
- Relatively smaller than most electric onion choppers
- Not exactly one-touch, as you need both hands to operate the device
- May not finely chop hard vegetables like carrots
- Powerful 250-watt motor for exceptional...
- Large 4-cup capacity chopping bowl with built-in...
- Easy press 'n pulse button for better; more...
- Razor sharp stainless-steel chopping blade
Last update on 2019-11-14 at 08:25
If you're looking for the strongest onion chopper, the Oster Top Chop is right up your alley. With its powerful 250-watt motor, it can chop as much as four cups of food in its container. The press ‘n pulse button achieves precision cutting, and the sharp stainless steel blades can neatly chop soft cheese within seconds.
Are you tired of the noise most kitchen devices make? Well, it's refreshing to know that an electric chopper like this Oster Top Chop creates a low-frequency bursting sound, instead of the usual high-pitched whine we hear from food processors.
- 250-watt motor delivers excellent performance
- 4-cup food capacity with built-in measuring scale
- Neatly chops softer types of cheese
- Chopping bowl doesn't stain
- Powerful motor chops too fast and may not give desirable result
- Blades are placed at the very bottom, resulting in inconsistent cuts
Considering the price, control, versatility, and size, the Brieftons Manual Food Chopper wears the crown loosely as the king of onion choppers. With its pull-cord mechanism, the Brieftons Food Chopper allows you to control your chopping and therefore results in a more uniformed cut.
Unlike the other multi-use choppers we mentioned above, the Brieftons won't need electricity for you to be able to chop onions or make a fruit tray. The way the chopper is set up is very straightforward and fuss-free. With a price tag of under $20, we consider the Brieftons Manual Food Chopper gold.
Do you own one of these lovely kitchen devices? What other foods did you try with the onion choppers? Please feel free to use the comments section for sharing stories and tips! And don't forget to share the article if you liked it!