How to Make Waffle Fries, Perfect Recipe
Name the best evening snack that comes to your mind at first? Is that waffle fries? Isn’t the saucy, crispy waffle enjoyable when you take the first bite? There can be nothing more delicious than a ketchup-dipped waffle fry? Are you interested? Well, then hop on to this article till the end because you’ll learn how to make perfect waffles fries.
A bucket of waffle fries from any food junction will cost at least some bucks. Although spending on these food items is worth appreciating, what if you can make some fries at your place? Trust me, once you try the fried waffles, you will be amazed, and your mind will be blown away.
Along with the waffle fry recipe, I will share some more snack recipes as well.
Without any further delay, let’s get started and know a bit more…
About waffle fries and chick-fil-A
When we name waffle fries, the first name that comes to our mind is the one and only Chick-fil-A. The Chick-fil-A waffle fries are so popular and delicious that they have even outraced the craze of the original chicken sandwich.
However, even statistics say that the french fries or hot chips ( the same thing, just differently addressed depending on the place) are also defeated when waffle fries enter the match.
These all-time favorite appetizer snacks were introduced to the market in 1985. Since then, the waffle fries have gathered a considerable number of fan followings. So much so that all the other snack items are in a way defeated by their crunchy sweet and salty taste.
Probably the unique shape and the golden-brown texture of the fries have brought them a disposition among foodies. The waffle fries might be called classic because they have struggled and beat the market during these thirty long years of their existence. That too with an unchanged recipe from scratch!
How to make waffle fries?
Preparing waffle fries is not rocket science. Rather it is as easy as a piece of cake. You might have enjoyed the crispy sauce-dipped waffles before in some food junctions or food stations and have successfully thought that making the perfect waffle fries at home is not possible at all.
Well, let me bring you to the light. Preparing perfect crunchy waffle fries is not that hard if you know the proper ways of cooking them. So, let me introduce you to the recipe for perfect fries that will, of course, blow your mind if you can make them carefully.
For making Chick-fil-A style waffles, you will not require a lot of ingredients. Rather, some basic things will do the job perfectly.
Ingredients and Equipment
- You will need russet potatoes (one large potato will be enough for one person).
- A crinkle cutter that has a unique waffle-shaped cutting side is a must for making waffles. You must have noticed the very original structure of waffle fries. For having those hash brown shapes, you will need the crinkle cutter.
- Then comes oil. Any frying oil (I personally prefer canola oil) will do.
- Make sure you have a deep fryer or at least a large pan that can be filled with oil halfway.
- Salt is a crucial ingredient in this recipe. You might consider cajun seasoning for extra taste and flavor.
- And last but not least, a deep-frying thermometer at this time will be of super help.
- First, take the potatoes (or potatoes) and wash them properly in freshwater. Make sure you wash all the potatoes thoroughly. Once you clear out all the dirt, you are free to move to the next step.
- Now, take the crinkle cutter and start cutting the potatoes. Waffle fries have two different variants—some people like the waffles with the potato skin, and others like it without the same. Hence, choose what you prefer most if you do not want to experiment with your taste and taste buds.
- Please follow the minute details while cutting the waffles. The hash shape of the waffle fries must be there. While cutting the potatoes, try to maintain the same thickness. It would be best if you can make the pieces 1/2 inches thick. Make sure you do not make it any thicker.
- Now let’s come to the cutting part. To make the hash shapes of the potato pieces, you have to maintain a certain way. Stroke the first cut and then rotate the potato to 90 degrees. And then stroke it again. Make sure you follow this method the whole time.
- Take a bowl and clean it first with fresh water. Now fill half of the bowl with water. Once done, add the sliced potatoes to the water of the bowl. This process is solely for removing the extra starch that remains. Rinse the sliced potatoes thoroughly in the bowl.
- Take a plate and place paper towels on top of it. Take the clean potato slices and place them on the paper towels. Make sure you dry out all the moisture properly by squeezing and wrapping them with the towels.
- Let’s move on to the cooking part of the waffle fries. Take oil in your deep fryer. In case you are using a pan or a bowl type of utensil to fry the waffles, make sure you fill almost half of it with oil.
- Heat the oil thoroughly. Take a batch of potato slices and fry them for 5 minutes unless they are softened and pale in texture. Once the potatoes reach that state, take the half-fried slices out and place them on another set of sheets of paper towels for bloating the excessive oil out.
- The optimal temperature for frying waffles is 375 degrees Fahrenheit. If you are using a thermometer, you may check the temperature with it as well. Now, take the half-fried waffles and dip them into the hot cooking oil. Fry the waffles for two to three minutes.
- Make sure the color of the waffles is golden brown, and they’re crispy as well. Once the waffles get to the desired state, take them out on a plate. In this step, you may place them on top of paper towels to remove extra oil.
- You might add some cajun seasoning at this phase. It takes the taste and flavor to the next level. Also, do not forget to add some salt. It would be best if you could sprinkle the salt evenly.
- Take a small plate and pour tomato ketchup into it and place it beside the waffles. And BOOM!Your all-time favorite snack is ready to serve!
If you are a fan of waffle fries, you might like some other snack recipes as well. In this section, we will be providing some other mouth-watering snack recipes that you can hold on to for enjoying. These grab-and-go appetizers can go anywhere and everywhere.
Hop on to this section for more snacks…
Parmesan Sweet Potato Wedges
Parmesan Sweet Potato Wedges are one of the best snack fries I have ever tried. And I am very sure that if you have tried waffle fries, you will obviously like this.
- Large sweet potatoes
- Grated parmesan cheese
- Ground pepper
- Once you have gathered all the ingredients, let’s move forward with the preparation procedure. Take the potatoes in a bowl and clean those with fresh, clean water. Make sure you rinse out all the dirt from the potatoes.
- One potato is enough for a person. So take potatoes in appropriate quantities. Peel the skin off. You may use a peeler for the task. Some people are comfortable working with a knife. If you are one of them, you might do that as well.
- Now let’s come to the cutting method. You need to cut the potatoes lengthwise in a wedge shape. Make sure you do not cut the pieces thicker than 1/2 inches.
- Once cut properly, take a bowl and fill half of it with clean water and rinse the potato pieces in the water. Take a plate and spread paper towels on it. Place the rinsed potato pieces on top of those sheets to absorb the water.
- Now, take another bowl and break three large eggs (3 eggs will be enough for three large potatoes) in it. Take the yolks of the eggs out and let the egg white remain in the bowl.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper, 3/4 teaspoon salt to the eggs, and whisk it until it becomes foamy. In another bowl, take two cups of grated parmesan cheese and keep it ready aside.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Now take a baking pan and make it ready with cooking spray.
- Now, dip the potato pieces in egg white first and then move it to the cheese bowl. Make sure the coating of grated cheese on the potato pieces is appropriate. Now place the potato pieces on the baking pan.
- Once placing is done, take the baking pan and put it in the oven. Roast the potatoes for 25 to 30 minutes. Make sure the potatoes are tender and the cheese is melted nicely. Look for the golden brown color, and once done, take out the baking pan.
- You may serve these delicious snacks with mustard if desired.
Garlic-Chive Baked Fries
This is another potato snack that I absolutely love to enjoy. You can pair it with ketchup, sauce, or mayonnaise and enjoy the tender yet crispy taste of this particular snack item.
- medium-sized russet potatoes
- olive oil
- garlic powder
- dried minced chives
- Now let us look into the cooking process. First, take the potato/potatoes into a bowl and rinse them with clean water.
- One potato will be enough for a person. So, take the potatoes accordingly.
- After rinsing out the dirt, transfer it to a chopping board and start cutting them. The shape of the potato pieces will be of julienne shape. Make sure you cut the potatoes to 1/4 inches thickness.
- Once you are done with the cutting method, let’s move further. Take the pieces of the potato/potatoes in a bowl and rinse them with clean water. This will make the extra starch go away. After that, dry the pieces with the help of a paper towel.
- Now, take a large bowl and transfer all the potato pieces in it.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon Garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon pepper powder, four teaspoons dried minced chives, and one tablespoon olive oil to the potato pieces and mix all the ingredients well.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Now, prepare a baking pan with cooking spray and arrange the potato pieces on top of the baking pan.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until the golden brown color appears. Once done, serve hot with ketchup, mustard, or any other sauce you like.
How can waffle fries be cut without a crinkle cutter?
- You may cut waffle fries with a mandolin cutter, a fry cutter, or a waffle blade. First, try cutting the slices of the potatoes in a similar thickness, and now, coming to the cutting part. Slice the potatoes once and then rotate the potatoes 90 degrees and cut them again. Continue this method until you reach the desired shape and size. And, TA-da! Waffles are ready to be fried!
Why are waffle fries better?
- Waffle fries have been condemned to be arguably better than any other potato snacks. These absorb flavors and taste better. Also, the fries hold condiments well because of the dispersed surface area. If salt, parmesan, or mustard are added to the waffles, they can find their way on top of the fries. These features have been credited to the waffle’s account. That is exactly why these have been said to be the best snack items.
Are Chick-Fil-A waffle fries healthy?
- Eating anything in an excessive amount is not at all healthy. Similarly, the Chick-fil-A fries will not be healthy if consumed regularly. But since the company claims that the fries contain 280 mg of sodium, they can be a great friend for those who maintain a gluten-free diet. So in a way, the fries are not unhealthy.
Fries are such easy snacks that can go everywhere. Friends outing, movie date, cozy weekend afternoons, or parties, you may find them at a corner, of course.
Eating from Chick-fil-A or any other food junction is enjoyable. But do you know what is more enjoyable and the smartest? To make them at home. Many people assume that making fries are, in a way, rocket science. But as you have now gathered the idea of waffle fries, they are not that hard to make.
So, giving it a shot will not bother you that much. On top of that, we have provided other potato crisp recipes as well for you to explore and experiment more with the snack items.
What are you waiting for? Now you know how to make perfect waffle fries. Start preparing the fries and enjoy them with your loved ones,
P.S do not forget to have a sauce bowl filled.
More Posts for You: