Best Poultry Shears 2017 – Reviews & Buyer’s Guide
Having trouble cutting your chicken? Not only can it be messy, but it can also be painful on your hand, when you are straining too much to cut with you kitchen shears.
Most people own shears in their kitchen but they don't really know that their lives can be so much easier if they will start using specialized shears like poultry shears which are intended to cut through chicken bones thoroughly. Read on to find out about how this little tool can you and where you can find the best poultry shears today.
What Are Poultry Shears?
Poultry shears are scissors which are planned, above all, to have the capacity to slice through bone, chicken skin, and other intense materials. Notwithstanding being utilized on poultry, evidently, poultry shears can also be used as general kitchen shears, and they are suited to a wide assortment of overwhelming requirements in the kitchen and can definitely help you get through countless tasks.
While not a crucial kitchen instrument, they are, to a great degree, very helpful to have around, particularly on the off chance that you are anticipating having to tackles with whole chickens in your kitchen.
How A Kitchen Shear Looks Like
An arrangement of poultry shears commonly looks a great deal like ordinary kitchen scissors, in spite of the fact that the shears for the most part look and feel heavier. Some would say that the perfect material to be used for poultry shears should be carbon steel, which holds an edge well and remains greatly strong, despite the fact that it is additionally conceivable to discover shears produced using stainless metal.
Poultry shears made of stainless metals are more affordable and a lot easier to find. Contingent upon the plan, the shears might be strong shaped, or handles containing plastic materials is also highly likely. It is, likewise, normal to discover serrations or scores on one edge to grasp the meat while it is cut.
Traditional Use Of Poultry Shears
Poultry shears have traditionally been utilized for tasks like slicing a chicken down the middle down the breastbone, in spite of the fact that a knife can likewise be utilized for this reason. They can, likewise, be utilized on a variety of intense sustenance to cut quickly and with a lot of control.
You may take note of that particular formulas call for poultry shears specifically for things like trimming and cutting meat. In a perfect world, the shears ought not to be utilized for non-kitchen undertakings like cutting coverings, albeit most shears are flawlessly equipped for being utilized as a part of this limit.
Well, you bought it for the kitchen and it is not hygienic to use for other things. Not to mention that you will be dulling and degrading your blade by doing this.
How To Choose Poultry Shears
At the point when searching out poultry shears, it pays to spend somewhat more. Shabby ones will at last fall flat, conceivably at an extremely unbalanced minute, and you may discover them baffling and bothering to utilize.
Search for strong shears which feel substantial and all around adjusted in your grasp, and maintain a strategic distance from poultry shears with materials that vibe unstable or terrible. You ought to likewise avoid shears with bunches of niches and crevices, as these can harbor microbes.
Tending Your Poultry Shears
Look after poultry shears like you would tend to whatever other cutting edge. At the point when not being used, keep them wrapped or in a blade rack to ensure the cutting edges and to avert wounds.
After utilize, hand wash the shears with extremely high temp water and cleanser; a couple drops of fade might be utilized intermittently to keep microbes off the shears. Never run kitchen shears of any sort through the dishwasher, as this can dull the sharp edge and harm the handle.
How To Use Poultry Shears For Your Roasted Chicken
Let us put those awesome poultry shears into good use. Oftentimes, even if you do have a good pair of shears, you can still mess up your chicken pretty bad. Follow these steps below so you don't end up mutilating your perfectly roasted or raw chicken. Remember, texture means a great deal!
- Place the chicken on a huge cutting board. The legs should be placed towards you, and the breast part of the chicken facing upwards.
- Start cutting through the bones of the breast of the chicken until you are clear through.
- Flip the chicken over and start cutting the spine throughout by slicing first to one side of the spine and after that to one side of the spine. This ought not to be troublesome. On the off chance that you wind up applying a lot of constrain you may attempt to slice through the spine. Simply move marginally to the right or left and attempt to cut it once more. You need to discover the place where the rib bones meet the spine.
- Once you have cut through, remove the spine of the chicken.
- You should now have two sides of the chicken with a removed spine. What you want to do next is cut the zone in the middle of the thigh and the bosom and butterfly it open to uncover the joint. You ought to be simply cutting skin now and it ought to be truly simple.
- Cut amidst the thigh and bosom joint. Just do the same thing with the second half.
You should now have a perfectly cut chicken in less than five minutes. You can also use the same for uncooked chickens. The process will just be the same.
Remember not to attempt to cut through the spine fully, and rotate the chicken so you can make the cut meet in half that way you don't pressure the meat itself. You will get a better cut by doing that.
The Best Poultry Shears You Can Choose From
One instrument I think each kitchen ought to have is a decent combination of poultry shears and kitchen scissors. A strong match kept in the kitchen utilized for kitchen undertakings as it were, not to mention other meats.
You can do some searching of your own for the one that would suit you, but for now, I will be recommending some really awesome poultry shears I have tried in the past.
Note that you should pick a couple that appear to be strong and feel good in your grasp. An additional benefit is cleaning. Meat can get really stuck and cleaning it can be a real pain.
*Below, you'll find our more detailed reviews, but you can also click the links above to see current prices or read customer reviews on Amazon.
Multipurpose One-Hand Function Kitchen Scissors with Safety Lock. This is one of the best voted shears you can use in your kitchen.
It is made of stainless steel and is designed ergonomically for both left and right-handed people. It is very to use, and while it is ideal for poultry, you can also use it for cracking nuts, bones and even for handling seafood.
It has a spring handle so you don't have to worry about broken handles which is a common dilemma when it comes to using shears. Not to mention that even if it does break, you can easily avail of the lifetime warranty, anyway.
Editor's Rating: 95/100
Price on Amazon: $21.99
- Ambidextrous shears that can be used by both right-handed and left-handed people
- Safety lock ensure you don't accidentally cut yourself
- Can be used for more than just cutting chicken
- Spring handles provides a stronger handle that will eliminate risks of breaking
- Comes with a lifetime warranty
- Reasonably priced
- Not dishwasher safe
- Steel handles may be hard to grip
The Kingway Heavy Duty Poultry Shears are made of pure stainless steel. The handles are a part of the blades, not added to it, which makes this a very sturdy shears to have in your kitchen, even for professional chefs. The shape of the handles are also very comfortable to grip, though it might be hard to use if you don't have a very strong grip.
Editor's Rating: 91/100
Price on Amazon: $30.71
- This poultry shears comes in a very nice box which makes it perfect as a gift
- High quality stainless steel for long-term use, which also means there will be no more rusting
- The handle is also made of steel so you can guarantee that the handle is not going to break
- Handle also has a nicely curved shape to make it easier to grip
- Reasonable price
- Does not come with any warranty
- May be hard to wash since it cannot be disassembled
- Not dishwasher safe
These poultry shears are an all-around kitchen shears, which you can also use for your veggies. It is very handy to have in your kitchen for daily use, though it is not meant for heavy-duty cutting.
If you want to have a poultry shears that can double as a kitchen shears, then this will be the best model for you.
Editor's Rating: 86/100
Price on Amazon: $10.95
- Cheaper than most shears
- High quality steel which is highly resistant to corrosion
- Easy to grip handles
- Serrated blades for slip free cutting
- Lifetime guarantee
- Handles has plastic components that might break
- Not dishwasher safe
- Cannot be disassembled so it may be a bit difficult to clean
These are the longest shears reviewed in this article and is guaranteed to be heavy duty, perfect for your most demanding cutting needs. There is no possibility of you breaking the blades on this one since the handles and blades are in one piece.
The handles are spring-loaded which can make even your toughest cutting needs easy to do.
Editor's Rating: 84/100
Price on Amazon: $39.98
- Made of heavy duty stainless steel
- Handle is also made of stainless steel
- Curved blades can make cutting easier
- Has a safety lock to prevent cutting yourself
- Has spring handles which can ease the strain in your hands
- 10 inch blades perfect for cutting big poultry, especially turkey!
- Does not have any warranty
- Not dishwasher safe
- A bit heavy and can be difficult to handle
This is another awesome poultry shears that will definitely make your life easier. The shape of the blades itself can help you reach farther into the bones, while reducing the strain on your hand at the same time with its spring-loaded handles.
The parts of this poultry shears are removable which can make cleaning it an absolute breeze.
Editor's Rating: 79/100
Price on Amazon: $24.95
- Made of stainless steel to prevent risks of rusting
- Handle with a spring which can do a lot to prevent any risk of straining your hand
- The blades are tapered, which will enable you to reach difficult to reach parts of the meat.
- You can dismantle this shears prior to washing for a more thorough cleaning.
- Handle has plastic components which can break off
- Not dishwasher safe
- Does not have any warranty
The BlizeTec Poultry Shears is our winner for this review!
Not only does it have high quality blades and handle, the spring handles and the safety lock are features that we can definitely appreciate. It is also reasonably priced and will be ideal for almost all types of poultry cutting and other cutting needs.
When it comes to poultry shears, use whatever is most comfortable for you. You may also visit your favorite kitchen store and check them out in person first before buying anything.
You would definitely want something very comfortable and easy for you to hold. Since chicken bones are very hard, cutting through them will always be a strain unless you find something that will be absolutely perfect for your needs.
I certainly hope you have found this article use. If you have any suggestions or any other product you have tried and would like to recommend, please let us know and we would love to hear from you. Share with your friends if you have this article useful.