Best Turkey Fryer 2017 – Reviews & Buyer’s Guide
Are you looking for the right turkey fryer that fits your needs? Then keep reading as we help you find the best turkey fryer which brings the best value for your money. However, picking the right turkey fryer might be a bit daunting especially with the many brands and models currently available.
After a great deal of extensive research, we have narrowed your choices to top five turkey fryers which provide impressive features and performance. Some of the models can be used outdoors, but we also explore a couple of models that can be used indoors for convenience. To guide on your purchase, check our guidelines and reviews.
Types Of Turkey Fryers
In our reviews, we have included both indoor and outdoor units. While the indoor units use electricity, the outdoor units use propane, which makes the former a safer option.
1. Electric Fryer (Indoor)
The electric fryer allows you to fry, steam, and boil food indoors anytime. Most indoor models have safety features including a temperature gauge, drain valve, and an automatic shut-off. With the temperature gauge, you don’t need to measure the oil temperature.
Watch how to deep fry a turkey in an electric fryer in this video.
As compared to the outdoor type, the electric fryer uses 33% less oil. However, you can’t bring the unit for tailgating. Also, heating the oil takes a bit longer.
2. Propane Deep Fryer (Outdoor)
The propane deep fryer is a great equipment to bring for camping, tailgating, or even just in your backyard. The oil tends to heat faster with this type of fryer. Best of all, you don’t have to deal with lingering odor of deep-fried food in your kitchen for days.
Learn how to deep fry a turkey with a propane deep fryer in this video.
However, your usage of this unit may be limited because you can’t use it when it rains or snows outside. Most outdoor models don’t have safety features, like the automatic shut-off and temperature gauge. You also need to constantly refuel the gas cylinder and use about 3-5 gallons of oil.
Things To Remember
- Never overfill the fryer with oil. To get an idea of how much oil you need, place the unwrapped frozen turkey in the fryer, then add water until it is submerged. Note the water level when you removed the turkey because that’s the amount of oil you’ll need.
- Always thaw your turkey completely or use a fresh one.
- When frying outside, place the fryer on a flat surface away from wooden decks and garages.
What To Look For
When buying a turkey fryer, look for a large capacity so you can fit even the largest size of turkeys. If you have a few mouths to feed, you can opt for a smaller capacity, but it may bring you issues when you’ll decide to hold a large party. To get you prepared at all occasions, opt for a larger capacity. The capacity of the models reviewed below ranges from 16-18 pounds.
Just with any item, you need to consider the price. You don’t want to invest on something too pricey above your budget. As possible, look for the most affordable unit with the most desirable features. You also need to make sure that you’re spending on a high-quality unit and not just a cheap model that may only last for a few uses.
3. Ease Of Use
The best turkey fryer should be easy to use and clean. Most convenient models are so easy to use that you only need to turn a knob or two. The operation shouldn’t be as complex than doing a science experiment. Some models are made with a dial analog control for convenience.
Of course, cleaning shouldn’t be a pain. To ensure that a fryer is easy to clean, look for a drain valve or a removable drip tray that catches all meat juices.
4. Features And Accessories
To know that your food is done, make sure that the fryer includes a thermometer. For safety, look for an auto shut-off, vented lid, cooking basket, and a lifter. The auto shut-off prevents overheating while the vented lid allows the steam to escape. Meanwhile, the lifter and cooking basket help stabilize the turkey when you lower it into the fryer.
Our Top 5 Picks
**Below, you'll find our more detailed reviews, but you can also click the links above to see current prices or read customer reviews on Amazon.
The Masterbuilt 23011014 Butterball is an indoor electric fryer made of stainless steel for durability and a porcelain-coated inner pot to contain the oil safely. As compared to traditional fryers, this uses 33% less oil. You can fry as large as 20 pounds of turkey in this unit.
This electric fryer includes a sturdy basket and a drain clip to cook the turkey conveniently. You can even control the temperature using its thermostat control and an automatic shut-off to prevent overheating. You can even clean this unit easily thanks to its drain valve.
Editor's Rating: 98/100
- Offers several safety features, like thermostat control and automatic shut-off
- Has a very large capacity: maximum of 20 pounds
- Reasonably priced
- Includes multiple accessories, such as a drain clip and a cooking basket
- Features a removable drip valve for easy cleaning
- The design would have been perfect if it has handles on the outside
- No strainer is supplied to remove the leftovers in the oil after cooking
The Char-Brol Turkey Fryer is a smart choice for those who want to go oil-less. Instead of using hot oil, the turkey is cooked through infrared heat which is a lot safer. Aside from preventing any flare-ups, this fryer reduces hot and cold spots, as well as deliver a juicy, crisp output.
This propane fryer can cook turkeys up to 16 pounds, as well as other types of meat including pork tenderloins, beef, and chicken. This fryer also includes other accessories, such as meat thermometer, cooking basket, and lifter.
Editor's Rating: 95/100
- Saves money and effort in buying or disposing of oil
- Safer to use than conventional oil turkey fryers
- Quite affordable
- Easy to use with just a turn of two knobs: one to switch on and another to light the burner
- Comes with a removable drip tray for easy cleaning
- Includes essential accessories, like meat thermometer, cooking basket, and lifter
- It fails to produce a real deep-fried result
- Cooks slower than usual
- Doesn’t cook evenly
The Eastman Outdoors 37069 features a 65,000 BTU fuel-saving burner and a 30-quart stainless steel pot. This outdoor fryer has several great accessories, like a thermometer to know the temperature and a marinade injector. It also can cook a large turkey up to 20 pounds.
A sure-footed design makes the unit stable when placed on the ground. This unit can work with a 20-pound propane tank which brings more convenience. A safety shut-off is built to turn off the unit when it gets too warm.
Editor's Rating: 91/100
Price on Amazon: $190.32
- Features an auto shut-off feature to switch off the fryer when it gets too hot
- Cooks turkey faster
- Has a large capacity: up to 20 pounds of turkey
- Burns 75% cleaner gas
- Distributes heat evenly and thoroughly
- High- BTU burner surpasses the safety conformations
- Easy to use and stable to use
- Lacks a drain valve to make cleaning easy
- Has no vented lid to let the steam escape from the inside
- A bit pricey as compared to similar models
The Bayou Classic 1195 is an outdoor fryer which includes a 32-quart stockpot and a thermometer to check the temperature. It can cook up to 18 pounds of a whole turkey or three chickens in a skewer. This fryer is welded with a stainless steel frame and a 10-PSI regulator.
You can cook a whole turkey in less than 45 minutes or use the skewer set to fry three chickens in just 20 minutes. This is because the stainless steel holds the heat better. You can even steam some vegetables and seafood using its perforated basket.
Editor's Rating: 88/100
- Cooks a whole turkey fast in less than 45 minutes
- Comes with great accessories including a steaming basket, thermometer, and a poultry rack
- Can cook up to 18 pounds of turkey or three whole chickens
- Made of stainless steel construction
- Offers versatile functions
- A bit expensive than models with the same capacity
- The thermometer seems to lose its accuracy over time
- The hose is a bit short
The Waring Pro TF200B is an electric turkey fryer which can accommodate up to 18 pounds of a whole turkey. It includes a cooking basket which also serves as a lifter and plastic handles to raise the turkey out the fryer conveniently. You can cook a large turkey in more than an hour, which is as fast as an outdoor fryer.
The unique trait of this unit is its capacity to rotate the turkey as it cooks. Like all other high-end models, this unit has many safety features, like an auto shut-off to prevent overheating, a cooking basket with a lifter to raise the turkey safely, and a vented lid to let the steam escape from the unit.
Editor's Rating: 83/100
Price on Amazon: $278.85
- Packed with safety features, like an auto shut-off, vented lid, and a cooking basket
- Rotates the turkey automatically to cook evenly
- Cooks fast in over an hour
- Features a drain valve to make cleaning easy
- Includes a thermometer, timer, and indicator lights
- Very expensive
- Have insufficient power to fry anything
- Cleaning is difficult with a few internal pieces you need to clean
Our Best Turkey Fryer Pick!
Based on our ratings, the Masterbuilt 23011014 is the best turkey fryer because it has met most of the features that we desire. Although the Waring Pro TF200B is a great contender, it fails to achieve the best status if we factored in the price.
The extra-large Masterbuilt 23011014 has almost the same features of Waring Pro at a lower price. Best of all, it features the largest capacity (20 pounds), easy to clean, and packed with safety features (e.g. auto shut-off and thermostat control).
If you have questions or suggestions, get them heard in the comments section. Don’t forget to share this article if you like it.