Best Manual Coffee Grinder 2017 – Reviews & Buyer’s Guide
If you’re a coffee expert, then you know how important it is to have a good grinder to produce the best coffee. As you’ve probably discovered, there are a lot of disappointing grinders currently available.
To eliminate any guesswork, we help you choose the best manual coffee grinder on the market today.
All manual coffee grinders are selected based on their popularity among users and their affordable price.
Aside from testing the performance of manual coffee grinders, we also take the time to read the reviews from some customers. To get you started with your manual coffee grinder purchase, read all the details below.
**Below, you'll find our more detailed reviews, but you can also click the links above to see current prices or read customer reviews on Amazon.
Manual Vs Electric
Although electric coffee grinders feature more modern features than their manual counterparts, not everybody are sold with their quality and performance.
Some people prefer the manual models due to their affordable price and silent operation. While electric grinders operate loudly, manual grinders are virtually silent.
In terms of consistency, manual grinders are better than their electric counterparts because you have complete control over the grinding method.
However, electric grinders are more convenient to use with just a push of a button. To get an idea of how to operate a manual grinder, watch it here.
What To Look For
1. Versatile Setting
If you like to get the best value for your money, you need to look for a manual coffee grinder that can work on any grind from super fine for espresso blends to coarser grains for French press.
Some of the best manual coffee grinder models offer about 18 settings to suit a variety of brewing systems, including Pour Over Dripper, AeroPress, and Turkish. The more settings a grinder offers, the better.
2. Durable Construction
The material often determines the durability of a manual coffee grinder. Most durable models are either made of an all stainless steel construction.
For burrs, they can either made from ceramic or high-quality stainless steel. Steel burrs are more durable to ceramic when it comes to heavy foreign objects.
However, they may not last longer than their ceramic counterparts.
3. Easy To Clean
A manual grinder that only requires a damp cloth for cleaning is preferable than those models which need you to maneuver a brush to remove all the grounds from deep crevices.
The burr should be easy to access so you can clean it thoroughly. Most users agree that washing the grinder with soap should be discouraged because it tends to impart a soapy aftertaste on your fresh brew.
4. Precise And Consistent Grind
A good manual grinder should produce precise and consistent grind to get the best coffee results.The problem with inconsistent grinds that differ in size and shape tend to extract unevenly.
This can result in a bitter brew or worse, you end up with a “coffee dust” in your coffee. You can ensure a precise and consistent grind from a conical burr mill.
The best way to extend the life of your manual coffee grinder is to get an extended or a lifetime warranty. The longer the warranty, the more preferable it is.
Sometimes warranty also indicates that the manufacturer is confident with the quality and durability of its product. Even if how cheap the product can be, never settle with those with no warranty.
Top 5 Recommendations
If you’re seeking for an affordable ceramic burr grinder, then the Steel Coffee Manual Coffee Grinder might be your best option.
It features a redesigned stronger handle that can take a harder beating. A versatile setting is offered to brew any kinds of brewing system such as French Press, AeroPress, or Pour Over Dripper.
In this model, coffee beans are grind slowly to perfect consistency for the best cup of coffee. You can ensure its durability with its ceramic burr and a high-grade 304 stainless steel construction. Best of all, it offers a lifetime warranty for longer use.
- Made of high-quality stainless steel construction
- Comes with a rare lifetime warranty
- Very affordable considering its high quality
- Can grind any type of brewing system from coarse to extra fine
- Easy to clean with its disassembled parts
- The handle is a bit flimsy
- The burr can get busted after a couple of months
- The grinder is slightly small
If you like to have a conical burr mill, then the JavaPresse Manual Coffee Grinder might suit your needs.
It features a built-in adjustable grind selector that can offer more than 18 click settings, including French Press, Drip, and Cold Brew. The ceramic burrs are designed similar to Japanese cookware to last longer than stainless steel blades.
JavaPresse is confident with the quality of its manual coffee grinder because it offers a 365-day money-back guarantee.
With its easy to clean stainless steel construction and ergonomic handle, this coffee grinder is built for convenience. You can even take it anywhere with its portable design.
- Impressive 365-day full money-back guarantee
- Sleek and durable stainless steel construction and ceramic burr
- Consistent grind results with its conical burr mill
- Provides more than 18 versatile settings
- Very portable to bring anywhere, like camping and hiking
- Easy to clean with its removable parts
- The plastic piece inside the conical burr is susceptible to damage
- Some models have very loose handles that may tend to fall off during operation
- Can’t work on large spices
With a large coffee mill, the DECEN Manual Coffee Grinder is perfect for French Press and Espresso bean.
This manual coffee grinder is made of high-quality diamond-strength ceramic which doesn’t generate heat that would change the original taste of the coffee beans. As a result, you get a fresh and pure ground coffee result.
The removable parts are easy to store and assemble. Just pack it neatly in a cupboard or even place it inside your suitcase for portable use. You can clean parts easily because they’re dishwasher-safe.
In addition, a non-slip grip handle makes grinding easy to do while the rubber cover keeps the stability of the grinder while operating.
- Offers a money-back guarantee
- Large coffee mill
- Easy to clean and store with its removable handle
- Can retain the original flavor of coffee beans with its high-precision dual ceramic conical burrs
- Non-slip rubber base for stability
- The handle is cheaply made and difficult to grind
- May produce inconsistent results
- The instruction manual that comes with it offers misleading directions
One of the best conical burr for even and consistent brewing is the Hunt Brothers Coffee Grinder.
The conical ceramic burr can be accessed easily for easy adjustment and convenient cleaning. It features about 18 various grind settings from the finest to the most coarse quality of the brew.
The body is made of high-quality stainless steel for durability and great performance. The grinding handle is ergonomically made to work with ease plus it comes with its own cotton string pouch for portable storage.
Most importantly, you can get your money back with its 100% money-back guarantee.
- Conical ceramic burr is easy to adjust and access for easy cleanup
- The stainless steel construction is built to last
- Comes with a pouch for easy travel
- Comes with a full money-back guarantee
- Provides versatile setting with ease
- The plastic piece on the grinder can easily get damaged
- The burr can easily get broken due to its awkward position
- Seems to be cheaply made because the grinder can stop working after a couple of months
For a larger capacity coffee mill, the Simple Kitchen Products Manual Coffee Grinder might be a good choice.
The adjustable hand-cranked coffee mill offers a perfect grind for your desired brewing system from French Press to Espresso. The dual ceramic conical burrs promise to provide precise grinding results.
While the coffee beans are grounded consistently, their original flavors are being retained effectively. With its sealing cap, you can store the rest of the grounds in the container for next use. The manufacturer is willing to replace the product in case of any complications.
- Comes with a 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- All parts are washable for easy cleaning
- Large 100-gram capacity coffee mill
- Fully adjustable hand-cranked coffee mill suits for any desired brewing method
- The container can serve as a storage for the remaining grounds
- The grind volume seems to be too small
- May be difficult to use at first
- May produce uneven grinds after some time due to diminishing quality
Considering all the qualities that we’re looking for in a good manual coffee grinder, the JavaPresse Manual Coffee Grinder is the best manual coffee grinder among the five similar products reviewed.
JavaPresse also met most of the features that we’re looking for, such as a versatile setting, a conical burr mill, stainless steel construction, and easy to clean parts. Although it doesn’t offer a lifetime warranty, it offers a 365-day money back guarantee.
Have you tried buying a manual coffee grinder already? How did it go? Let us hear your thoughts in the comments section below. Don’t hesitate to share this wonderful article if you find this helpful.