The Most Affordable And Best Flour Sifter: Our Top Picks And More
Are you looking for a high-quality flour sifter that is very affordable? Then you come to the right place. In this article, we’ll be reviewing five flour sifters to select the best flour sifter for an affordable price.
Picking the right flour sifter for your kitchen needs may be a little difficult to accomplish because there are a lot of brands available on the market now. You need to know the features so you’ll know what specific model to choose. For your convenience, we offer a buyer’s guide along with some honest reviews on the top five flour sifters on the market today.
**Below, you'll find our more detailed reviews, but you can also click the links above to see current prices or read customer reviews on Amazon.
What Is A Flour Sifter?
A flour sifter is a strainer to break up any lumps of flour before baking. Traditional crank-style type of sifters has a handle in which you turn to push the dry ingredients through a wire mesh.
Other types of sifters use a shaking mechanism to even out the flour’s consistency. Recent models are even built with a trigger to push the flour through a wire screen. No matter what type of flour sifter you use, it’s essential that you’re comfortable in using it.
Why Sift Flour?
It is important that you sift the flour before baking because it can allow even mixing plus you can can get a more consistent measurement. Without the hard, dry lumps, you can mix the flour together with other dry ingredients very well.
This can also lead to a consistently good finished output. Sifting also aerates the flour which gives the light and delicate texture of finished baked products.
This can be really useful if you’ll be making cookies because nothing beats a delicately crumbled finished baking product. More importantly, you can remove any unwanted materials to be included in your cakes and pastries.
What To Look For
1. Larger Capacity
If you always deal with large recipes, then you need to look for a sifter that offers a large capacity. A larger capacity means more ingredients to be sifted in less time. The capacity of flour sifters can range from 1 to 5 cups.
2. Durable Construction
If you want your flour sifter to last for a long time, then you need to look for a durable model that can resist a long time beating. The materials used for flour sifters can range from metal to plastic. To make sure that your sifter doesn’t suffer from rust, choose stainless steel. Plastic is pretty fine, but make sure that it’s heavy-weighted and high-quality.
3. Ease Of Use
To fully enjoy your sifting work, look for a sifter that is easy to use. Most crank-style sifters may need some energy to turn a handle, but they’re effective in breaking up lumps of flour than their electric-operated counterparts. To make the operation easier, some crank-style models are built with comfortable handles that crank smoothly.
4. Measurement Marks
To avoid guesswork on the right measurements of flour, look for a model that provides volume markings on the inside and outside. Aside from accuracy, the markings can save you the time in measuring the flour before sifting.
Also, consider the visibility of the measurement markings. The numbers should be stamped so they don’t fade over time.
Our Top 5 Picks
The Nopro flour 3-cup flour sifter is made of quality stainless steel. It is designed in an old-fashioned hand crank handle that’s easy to turn. It includes two wire agitators to avoid any wasted flour.
You can measure the flour while sifting, thanks to its volume markings on the inside and outside. This sifter is perfect for making delicate cakes, like sponge cake and angel food cake. Just add the flour, turn the crank, and the output is a light, even fine flour.
- Very affordable for its quality
- The two wire agitators are efficient in breaking down the flour into fine pieces
- Easy to clean with its whole stainless steel construction
- Great in removing any large clumps of flour
- The crank handle is easy to operate
- The stainless steel may develop rust after some time
- It would have been great if it sifts wheat flour finely
- The body seems to be a little flimsy because it can be easily bent
The Bellemain Stainless Steel Flour Sifter can hold as much as three cups of flour. The measurement markings are stamped on the metal so you visibly see the markings inside and outside of its body. The crank handle is made of a wooden knob to give a secure grip.
Its best feature might be its double loop agitator which leave no waste of flour behind. Sifting and cleanup are made easier by its single mesh. The stainless steel construction promises to be rust resistant and durable.
- Nice stamped measurement marks
- Easy to use with its single mesh design and crank handle
- Good quality stainless steel construction
- Easy to clean
- The hole of the mesh is a bit too largeIt would have been better if it offers a larger capacity
- The crank seems to be difficult to turn sometimes
The Mrs. Anderson’s Sifter can sift as much as 5 cups of flour and icing sugar. It’s made of a wood knob handle and a stainless steel body to resist rust and last for a long time. It has measurements stamped on its body to eliminate any guesswork for flour volume.
A fine wire mesh can sift flour and other dry baking ingredients finely. You can clean the sifter by washing it in warm soapy water. So if you look for a sifter with a very large capacity, try the Mrs. Anderson 5-cup sifter.
- Very large capacity (5 cups)
- Good stamped measurement marks
- Definitely rust-free if washed and dried thoroughly
- The two wire agitator breaks down flour lumps easily
- Quickly aerate flour for efficient baking
- May not work well for powdered sugar as advertised
- The crank is a bit flimsy and hard to operate smoothly
- The wooden knob is a bit too small
The Cuisipro Scoop And Sift Flour Sifter can manage about 2-3 cups of flour. It is designed with a single hand operation which allows you to scoop and sift flour simply with one hand. The angled interior rake efficiently sifts flour through the mesh opening without a mess.
One of its best features is its curved handle which allows you to stand it on a counter or hang on the edge of a bowl. It’s very convenient to carry to the table for sifting cocoa or sugar. Best of all, it’s dishwasher safe so cleaning will be a breeze.
- Doesn’t rust like its stainless steel counterpart
- Easy to use with its trigger sifting mechanism design
- Easy to clean with its dishwasher-safe feature
- Lightweight and easy to carry
- Can only hold a very small amount of flour or else the flour will be flying around
- May cause pain in your forearm muscles after using
- May need a large bowl to catch the flour sifted
- The wire mesh seems to be not fine enough to sift flour finely
The OXO Good Grips Sifter can sift up to 3 cups of flour. It is made of stainless steel to fight rust and remain durable for a long time.
Unlike crank-style sifters, the OXO sifts flour with just a little shake from side to side. It features an ergonomically designed handle to make the sifting mechanism easier.
It doesn’t only marks the cup measurements but also the gram equivalents as well. To make sure that the interior stays clean, lids are provided both for the top and bottom. You can also run this in the dishwasher for easy cleanup.
- Dishwasher-safe for easy cleanup
- Comfortable and easy to grip handle
- Durable stainless steel construction
- The shaking mechanism may be fun to do
- The shaking mechanism could be a little tiring on the wrist
- Sifting tends to be slower than the usual
- The flour tends to get stuck often
All the flour sifters almost have the same features, but if you factored in capacity and other features that we’re looking for in a good sifter, the Mrs. Anderson’s Baking Hand Crank Flour Icing Sugar Sifter is the winner. Mrs. Anderson’s sifter is the best flour sifter because it offers a 5-cup capacity, easy to use with its smooth crank handle, durable with its stainless steel construction, and stamped with measurement markings.
Have you tried buying a flour sifter? Let us know in the comments section below. Don’t hesitate to share this post on your social media if you like it.